Lifelong Learning at Longhorn Village
Live & Learn
Enriching lives is our mission.
With lifelong learning at the core of our culture — packed in there with our vision for Longhorn spirit, living well, dreaming big, laughing often and grabbing life by the moment — we now offer a higher-level educational program for our residents and the public. Inquiring Minds provides academic opportunities for more advanced learning on topics of special interest, making it the perfect addition to the learning activities already in place at Longhorn Village.
You’ll get smarter by the second.
Every Inquiring Minds course features a subject-matter expert with an interesting point of view and is delivered in a series of six weekly in-person sessions. Each six-week course is $30 for current Longhorn Village residents and $100 per person for the general public.
New learning opportunities updated quarterly
Harnessing the Wind: America's Golden Age of Sail
With guest speaker, Todd Clayton.
The commercial sailing ship of the early 1800s opened world travel opportunities to the common man. Your horizons were no longer limited to the few miles around your city or farm. Turn your watches back 150 years and transport yourself into the minds of your ancestors deciding how to go from Liverpool to New York, Philadelphia to Boston, New York to the gold fields of California the fastest way…by sea. We will explore life aboard a sailing ship (for both the crew and passengers), how sailing technology eventually gave way to steam, how sail and steam aided in California’s development, how lighthouses evolved, and how all of this impacts commercial shipping and competitive sailing today.
- Week One, September 25, 2023 - Harnessing the Wind — How World Travel Opened for the Common Man
- Week Two, October 2, 2023 - American Whaling and the Story of the “Essex” — Our First Oil Business
- Week Three, October 9, 2023 - “Where are We?” — Making Ocean Voyages Safe and America’s Lighthouses
- Week Four, October 16, 2023 - Seeking California and China — Clipper Ships: The Pinnacle of Sailing
- Week Five, October 23, 2023 - Sail and Steam Tech Evolution — America’s First Hybrid Vehicles
- Week Six, October 30, 2023 - Commercial Shipping Today and Modern Sailing
The classes will be on Mondays, from 3:30-4:30 p.m. in the Forty Acres Room.
The cost for the series for non-residents is $100 for the full series. Please call for details.
Come back soon for new course updates!